It’s potentially priceless – because it’s often FREE!
Preventive care – everyone’s heard the cliché that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Truth is, preventive care is also a smart way to help keep your health-related expenses down.
Even better, early detection of health issues can make all the difference in terms of the length and happiness of your life.
That’s why there’s so much emphasis on preventive screenings, vaccinations, regular checkups, and other routine care. And it’s also why most preventive care is either free or reasonably priced.
What are the right preventive care steps for me?
Some preventive care steps are simple things you should do regularly – like washing your hands or avoiding tobacco.
Other activities may be good ideas, but not must-dos. And some fall into a gray area – whether or not you should do them all depends.
The bottom-line goal of preventive care is to help you get more enjoyment from life while potentially reducing your health care expenses.
Five reasons why it’s important to discuss preventive health care with your doctor.
1. Your doctor knows you, and knows your health history. If you need help with a health issue later, you’re likely to benefit from the best advice possible.
2. Checkups and screenings (for things like blood pressure and cholesterol) can help catch and fix small problems before they become big problems. When you see a doctor regularly, small changes in your health can often be detected.
3. Vaccinations can keep you healthy. For example, if you get a free flu shot in the fall, it can help keep you from becoming ill with the flu during the holidays.
4. Your primary care doctor is aware of health issues you’ve had before. If you have a history of certain health issues, such as a heart condition, your doctor can be on constant lookout for recurrence of signs or symptoms of concern.
5. Preventive care can help give you greater peace of mind. Think about it: After you’ve had your checkup, that’s one less thing to worry about. You take your car in for regular service. Isn’t your health worth more to you than your car?
Commit to taking action, and preventive care can improve your life.
We always have the best of intentions. Follow-through? Not so much. How to change all that? Start small, and move up from there. Consistent small improvements, over time, become significant positive changes. Better overall health is within your reach. Start today, and you’re sure to enjoy life more tomorrow!